Sunday, November 29, 2009

Hey! I thought you said you were back!

As the old saying states, time flies when you're making tea towels. I have been a busy little bee getting ready for the pinnacle of my months of tests and labours. Next Thursday, December 3rd is the day of the Speakeasy craft sale and the debut of my tea towels!


Before I get into the specifics of the progress of my work I want to share with you the specifics of the two craft sales that I will be featuring my products. First, as mentioned above, is the Speakeasy holiday craft sale, at the Gladstone hotel. It starts at 8 and a donation is asked to enter the sale. See the flyer above for the rest of the info. If you're in the area please stop by- the sale features a TON of awesome work to oogle. The second sale is a last minute decision. It's happening on Sunday December 6th, with the Workshop Collective studio. The studio is located on the 2nd floor at 1380 Queen St West. Both sales will be fun and I hope to see you there!


So, the specifics! I have been working my bum off on the designs and construction of the tea towels, as well as packaging. I have come up with some great ways to save time. Using a rotary cutter and a hand made pattern has made fabric cutting a breeze! I'm also using an acetone/ carbon photo transfer technique to transfer the embroidery images to cut down on re-drawing the design every time. Without these quickeners I'd be in big trouble. I had my first silk screening at home experience just last week and am happy to say that it was a lot less messy than I thought it would be! I am finishing the printing tomorrow for the show towels- any fear of screening at home is long gone. My embroidery remains the most time consuming part of the process, although the more I embroider the quicker I get. I used print gocco to make the band label to keep the two towels together. They came out a bit distressed looking but I don't mind it so much. I've decided to price the pack at $35- one silk screened and one embroidered. I feel like I'm actually on the home stretch and know that I've got a great item to sell to the world. That makes me happy as heck.




I also decided to get some prints made of the alphabet poster I made for a friend in the spring. I really loved doing it and I have never made high quality prints of my work before. I went to my tried and trusted printer buddies Marco and Nadia at MarcorMedia to get them done and they turned out beautifully. I can't wait to debut them on thursday night. They will be $60 each. My main concern now is finding a way to package the prints without damaging them or my pocket book. Any ideas?

I'm also going to sell some home-goccoed greeting cards (I know, I know- I really am not getting any sleep at all) in a variety of themes.

I will be sure to fill you in on how everything goes at the sale. Of course, if you can come out and see it for yourself, all the better.

Until next week, ta ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment