Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My week of freelance illustration

I'm well into my second week of work at my new job, and I'm still getting used to the transition from a 15 minute commute to a 90 minute commute. It's certainly having an effect on my accomplishments in the evening time, and just on general sleepiness. I am feeling supper sleepy, by the way. Anyhow, I have 3 hours of travel time to fill, and this weekend I went out and bought myself a handy dandy iPhone. I have downloaded the blog application on to it, but can't figure it out yet. When I do I will be writing here at 7:30 in the morning on a bus with a load of snoozing executives.

This post is about cool #3: illustration work!! I adore illustration work- it's my first love, even above embroidery, and my educational background. It's been ages since I've had any, and I was getting antsy. As I said last post, my "week off" of work ended up being a week on. 2010 brought me another sweet present! I had two jobs I was working on, one has been published already and I can share it with you and the other I will only show a snippet and you will have to wait for the rest.

The first job I did is an illustration for the National Post (a Canadian newspaper) to accompany their February calendar on Monday the 1st. I went totally Valentine's on their paper, with an Olympic/ black history month flare. I was allowed to do whatever I liked and I did just that! Here it is:


And this is a shot of my desk as I worked on the second illustration project. And yes, this job was done in full vector! I really am turning into a digi-Claire. Note the glass of delicious apple cider. It was my week off, after all, so I treated myself to a sweet treat.


Update on the tea towels at Model Citizen next time!


1 comment:

  1. The freelance stuff looks great! and yey for iphones. I think I'm going to have to get one also since both my phone and ipod are on its last legs. I know I said I wouldnt get one, You were totally right that I would! :)

    ReplyDelete