Monday, April 18, 2011

Claire Loves... Jillian Tamaki.

Mornin', folks!

This is a quickie post, as I have to head out to the vet in mere minutes. I just wanted to share an amazing find I made over the weekend. It isn't, in fact, Jillian Tamaki as you would assume from the title of this post. I've known of and admired the work of one of Canada's best illustrator's for a long time. Seriously. I want an empire like her's one day. Anyway, Jillian recently had the COOLEST illustration gig I have ever heard of. She was commissioned by Penguin Books to create classic book covers using embroidery. I know... FREAKING EMBROIDERY!! 

From Jillian Tamaki Sketchblog
I have professed my love of all things embroidery since I first started this blog. Jillian's handiwork blows my mind from a technical and creative standpoint. The variety of stitches alone makes me want to pull out my Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Embroidery Stitches and get learning!

From Jillian Tamaki Sketchblog
There are three in the series (Black Beauty as well) and they hit the book stores in the Fall. I am happy for the early sneak peek, but will have a hard time waiting to purchase them. I highly recommend checking out Jillians sketchblog to read all about the process of making these gems and her illustration site to check out the other amazing things she does. As I type and look at these covers it takes my breath away. It's definitely inspiring me to work on my own embroidery more. For now though, I have a kitty waiting to have her stitches removed and three more running shoes to paint (the client must have liked the first one!). 


Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Cool! have you cracked open my "see you later" gift yet?
    C

    ReplyDelete