Sunday, May 29, 2011

TROPHY. Care of Jon Todd.

So, I went to illustration school with the uber talented and all around nice guy Jon Todd. He's pretty much become a gallery darling in Montreal, Toronto, and L.A. I am pretty proud to say that I have a Jon Todd in my tiny art collection. I'm glad I bought it when I did, as I wouldn't be able to afford his work now. Talent costs, people. Here's the piece on my wall beside my studio set up, along with an illustrated tile from my friend Thadeus Maximus (or Ted, to me!)
Artwork by Jon Todd
Pretty sweet, no? I Have pretty much based any art purchases I've made on whether it will go well with this one. I adore it. 

Anyway, Jon has a show running in Toronto this month and it opened on Friday. The show is called TROPHY and it's running at Smash Gallery, which is located slightly west of Keele St. and Dundas St West here in Toronto. The show is on through until next Thursday June 2nd. Check out Jon's website for more details on hours, etc. 

The show was amazing. It's great to be able to see progress in an artist and Jon definitely had his newness on display. His new work has much more detailed elements. I really liked his use of this sketchy line work that he filled aspects of his paintings with. The different details and texture he layers into his work makes it fun and interesting to look at. 

Artwork by Jon Todd
Aside from the artwork, the event brought out many familiar faces from my college days. Some faces that I haven't seen SINCE college. Some I saw last week. Jon had constructed a huge wrestling ring right in the centre of the show. Here he is with a few buddies hanging out in it.
Then they started to wrestle. Don't worry. No one was injured in the making of this photo. 
It was tremendous to be able to catch up, find out what's new, remember the old, have a few beers and talk art. I couldn't have asked for a better Friday night.

Don't forget to check out TROPHY this week if you're in Toronto before it shuts down.

No comments:

Post a Comment